I went to high school with this guy. We were never really close friends though he was perpetually in the one group of people I kept in touch with after high school.

A few years ago we had a falling out and I never really looked back. I never really liked the guy, sometimes I fuckin hated him. Though the group kinda fell apart after that and I lost contact with someone I actually did care about. Otherwise, getting him out of my life really wasn’t a negative.

Regardless, he responded to a Facebook post and curiosity got the better of me.

In the past, he’d expressed regret in voting for Trump, he wasn’t a Democrat and voted third party in 2020. I assumed he’d check out of this election and I’d see what he was up to.

Strangers, this man has completely lost his fucking mind. His Facebook is flooded with reposted tiktoks admonishing the current administration and screeching about the moral imperative of getting trump back in to office. One after another after another, 5 to 7 of these things a day. Continuing debates he’s had with somebody by tagging them, and notably getting no response. More than once he’s brought up a trump policy, blamed it on Kamala Harris, and howled about how evil the Democrats are.

In the past any attempt at rational discussion would devolve to fanatic ravings, and now it seems that all he’s doing. Constantly screaming in to the void about some perceived Boogeyman.

I haven’t lost anything, as I said getting out of each other’s lives was a good thing for me. This guy used a hard R during the protests and would go to safe spaces online to torment the people there for fun. He’s literally the type of person Facebook has screening questions for.

But Jesus, he’s like a fucking caricature. There’s no engaging with that type of person, no bringing them back. He’s just lost.

• @Poayjay@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    1 day ago

Yep. I was enlisted in the navy. I’ve seen this pipeline over and over on Facebook

Hate the Navy, Joe Rogan Phase, Hate the Government, Jordan Peterson Phase, Becomes sexist and undateable, Become libertarian, Be smarter and better than everyone else, Diet racism, Conspiracy theories, Angry and isolated because of their shitty beliefs, Digs in more and lives to argue, Lost their fucking mind

It’s sad watching genuinely decent people become angry, scared, and isolated. You can’t even feel bad for them because of how insufferable they become.

• @Etterra@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      51 day ago

The worst part is that it’s all being fine to these people on purpose. Cults thrive off of captive audiences, people cut off from their support structures, living in echo chambers and afraid. This one’s just not in any kind of a church.