Kamala Harris’s running mate urges popular vote system but campaign says issue is not part of Democrats’ agenda

• Rhaedas
    link
    fedilink
    513 hours ago

The popular vote contract sounds interesting, but I like ranked voting more because it allows flexibility in sampling the public opinion of who they’d want. Think of any question a poll could ask you where you feel there isn’t a clear yes/no or single answer. Isn’t it better when it allows you to pick from a few choices that together reflect your answer? An election not only could turn out more voters, it could give statistical nuances on how people lean among the ones that voted in the winner. Eg., how many that voted both Democrat candidate as well as certain other parties.

Just had a thought that we could even see a person vote Democrat and Republican on a ticket. But at least they got their vote in and showed how they’re torn.

• @zarkanian@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      12 hours ago

The popular vote contract sounds interesting, but I like ranked voting more

Those solve two different problems. The first solves the problem of a candidate winning despite having fewer votes; the second solves the spoiler effect.

• growsomethinggood ()
      link
      fedilink
      512 hours ago

Yes, the compact is definitely a way to get around the current system, not to overhaul it (which it desperately needs but would require 2/3 approval instead of >50% of the electoral college). I agree that if we are able to get constitutional amendments on the table, we should be looking at ranked choice or approval voting systems! But one of the big issues right now is unfamiliarity with either of those systems, and a lot of familiarity with popular choice. That’s why it’s so important that the many, many local and statewide initiatives for ranked choice get support!

• Rhaedas
        link
        fedilink
        412 hours ago

Agreed, the more we see ranked choice locally the more support there will be to expand it. Also “easier” to get it changed at that level.