• @7fb2adfb45bafcc01c80@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    -25 hours ago

how do you expect an archive to happen if they are not allowed to archive while it is still up.

I don’t want them publishing their archive while it’s up. If they archive but don’t republish while the site exists then there’s less damage.

I support the concept of archiving and screenshotting. I have my own linkwarden server set up and I use it all the time.

But I don’t republish anything that I archive because that dilutes the value of the original creator.

• @zarkanian@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      12 hours ago

A couple of good examples are lifehacker.com and lifehack.org. Both sites used to have excellent content. The sites are still up and running, but the first one has turned into a collection of listicles and the second is an ad for an “AI-powered life coach”. All of that old content is gone and is only accessible through the Internet Archive.

In fact, many domains never shut down, they just change owners or change direction.

• @7fb2adfb45bafcc01c80@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        -33 hours ago

Shouldn’t that be the content creator’s prerogative? What if the content had a significant error? What if they removed the page because of a request from someone living in the EU requested it under their laws? What if the page was edited because someone accidentally made their address and phone number public in a forum post?

• @Landsharkgun@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          22 hours ago

Nah. It just lets slimy gits claim they never said XYZ, or that such and such a thing never happened. With as volatile a storage media as internet media, hard backups are absolutely necessary. Put it this way; would you have the same complaimt about a newspaper? A TV show? Post your opinion piece to a newspaper and it’s fixed in ink forever. Yet somehow you complain when that same opinion piece is on a website? Get outta here.