HP wants you to print things through its cloud service, wherein you pay a subscription fee for ink and your usage is routed through its servers. To encourage you to do this, it covers the USB port …

• wagesj45
    link
    fedilink
    2211 months ago

If you need a printer, spend a little extra money on one that is actually used in an office. A nice mid-range laser printer is relatively cheap. They don’t come with the subscription bullshit, they usually work over LAN if that’s a thing you want, and generally Just Work™.

Consumer inkjet printers are cheap for a reason. If you need a printer, get one that won’t give you endless headaches.

• BattleOften
      link
      fedilink
      English
      511 months ago

As someone working in hardware support, I did exactly this and tell others to do this, especially if they have a kid in middle or high school. Sooo much cheaper to bite the bullet on the front end and then have a printer that’ll last a decade.

• roofuskit
        link
        fedilink
        211 months ago

I bought a color LaserJet 4 years ago I think. Have yet to need to replace any of the toners.

• ripcord
      link
      fedilink
      411 months ago

Yeah, if you only need black and white, strongly strongly recommend a Brother laser, which is only going to be a little bit more than an HP inkjet, be better in virtually every way, including massively cheaper in the long run.

Probably color too, but they’re more expensive and I don’t have experience with them (or have read many people who have).

• Unaware7013
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      11 months ago

This 10000%

I’ve got a hp LaserJet that I got back in like 2014 or 2015 when my work was going to ewaste a new printer that got used like twice before they went to a managed printer service. That thing has held up like a tank across 3 or 4 moves, and I only just had to order a new set of toner carts.

I hate inkjets with a passion, and recommend laserjets to anyone that asks (and even some that don’t)