• @HardlightCereal@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    211 months ago

Language is a method for encoding human thought. Mastery of language is mastery of human thought. The problem is, predictive text heuristics don’t have mastery of language and they cannot predict desired output

• @cloudy1999@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      11 months ago

I thought this was an inciteful comment. Language is a kind of ‘view’ (in the model view controller sense) of intelligence. It signifies a thought or meme. But, language is imprecise and flawed. It’s a poor representation since it can be misinterpreted or distorted. I wonder if language based AIs are inherently flawed, too.

Edit: grammar, ironically

link
        fedilink
        English
        111 months ago

Language based AIs will always carry the biases of the language they speak. I am certain a properly trained bilingual AI would be smarter than a monolingual AI of the same skill level

• Fedora
      link
      fedilink
      English
      211 months ago

Sorry, but you oversimplify a lot here, it hurts. Language can express and communicate human thought, sure, but human thought is more than language. Human thought includes emotions, experiences, abstract concepts, etc. that go beyond what can be expressed through language alone. LLMs are excellent at generating text, often more skilled than the average person, but training data and algorithms limit LLMs. They can lack nuances of context, tone, or intent. TL;DR.: Understanding language doesn’t imply understanding human thought.

I’d love to know how you even came to your conclusion.

link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Many languages lack words for certain concepts. For example, english lacks a word for the joy you feel at another’s pain. You have to go to Germany in order to name Schadenfreude. However, English is perfectly capable of describing what schadenfreude is. I sometimes become nonverbal due to my autism. In the moment, there is no way I could possibly describe what I am feeling. But that is a limitation of my temporarily panicked mind, not a limitation of language itself. Sufficiently gifted writers and poets have described things once thought indescribable. I believe language can describe anything with a book long enough and a writer skilled enough.

• Xero
          link
          fedilink
          English
          111 months ago

I’m not a native English speaker so I might be wrong, but isn’t “sadism” also covers “schadenfreude”?

• @MajorHavoc@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      111 months ago

“Mastery of language is mastery of human thought.” is easy to prove false.

The current batch of AIs is an excellent data point. These things are very good at language, and they still can’t even count.

The average celebrity provides evidence that it is false. People who excel at science often suck at talking, and vice-versa.

We didn’t talk our way to the moon.

Even when these LLMs master language, it’s not evidence that they’re doing any actual thinking, yet.