HP wants you to print things through its cloud service, wherein you pay a subscription fee for ink and your usage is routed through its servers. To encourage you to do this, it covers the USB port …

• Dark Arc
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    11 months ago

The cheapest brother is $120 (USD) https://www.brother-usa.com/products/HLL2300D

If you want color, sure that’s more ($250). Still not a long shot from what you paid for your HP, plus that ink (and I’d wager you’d still be going without a single follow up purchase of toner).

For context (per their own product claims):

• Brother Genuine TN227 High-yield replacement toner delivers rich, vivid professional laser print quality you can rely on for up to 3,000 pages (black) and up to 2,300 pages (color) (2)
    • Additional replacement toner option available for this model: TN223 Standard-yield (1,400 pages black/1,300 pages color) (2)
    • @veng@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      11 months ago

That’s in the US, but to be fair I’m comparing the cheapest 3-in-1 mono brother to my 3-in-1 HP printer. So £178 vs £50, 3x more. That’s forgetting the fact that I’d no longer be able to print in colour. I do understand that if I printed more often a laser would absolutely be cheaper.