Always heard about org mode but was intimidated by emacs when I could barely manage vi/vim (sorry guys). Installed a plugin for org-mode for Sublime Text today and… shit, why didn’t I try this sooner?

I have thousands of text files with horrible organization, thrown around multiple directories, no common naming scheme, no hierarchy, no unified notation, just ramblings and a barely marginal attempt at organization using === as title markers. I have links and ideas buried deep and I didn’t want to use a third party tool “just for managing text”.

Well, my eyes are open, and thus I’m euphoric, enlightened by its brilliance. I must rewrite all my stuff in org-mode.

• @astroturds@startrek.website
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Org mode changed my fucking life! I looked into using emacs as a simple markdown editor when I was doing a creative writing course and discovered org mode. 4 years later and I never leave emacs, everything is done through emacs and org mode. I even use it as my window manager (exwm). I bought an old chromebook to turn into an emacs machine and it’s so good. It’s an operating system and I don’t like using a computer without it.

Some things for you to look into that I now can’t live without:

Elfeed

Org-capture and capture templates

Dired

EXWM

Syncthing (not a part of emacs but means I don’t have to use closed source cloud backups)

I passionately love emacs. At first I thought all they shortcuts and keybindings were a bit insane but they are second nature to me at this point. Emacs has also saved me lots of money that I would have spent on silly writing apps and aids.

• silent_water [she/her]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      11 months ago

the thing that stops me from putting my whole life in emacs is how many things block the main render thread… jfc emacs needs a multithreaded rewrite. I still use emacs for /almost/ everything though.

fun fact: you can browse lemmy from emacs

• @astroturds@startrek.website
        link
        fedilink
        English
        211 months ago

Yep I read about that when I first looked into exwm and it is a problem. I’m lucky though, I only really use emacs and firefox so it’s not a big deal for me. I wouldn’t want to be using exwm if I was doing some serious multitasking and using video editing software or something. I don’t know if there are plans for a multithread rewrite of emacs but I hope it happens.

I’m going to set up lem.el at some point! I currently use elfeed to see lemmy posts from the communities I’m most interested in and firefox to comment or just browse about. I actually saw this post from inside elfeed originally.