• @Corkyskog@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    111 months ago

Why do mobile devices and computer hardware need to utilize the exact same wire? I am fine with their being two, as long as it doesn’t turn back into a half dozen types of cables again.

• @LetMeEatCake@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      411 months ago

It’s convenience and efficiency. At the end of the day a single cable can provide that functionality needed for 99.9% of such devices. Getting everything on a single cable format reduces waste, simplifies people’s lives, and even opens up competitive spaces. There’s no need for it to be two cables.

• @Corkyskog@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        211 months ago

But it’s already multiple cables. I have like 3 dozen cables, with more than a dozen being USB-C and only like 5 of them will fast charge my phone. This will get more absurd and confusing as it’s expanded over varying needs for power per device. I mean at least make some sort of easy cable label requirement.

• @barsoap@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          111 months ago

Your word is the USB-IF’s ear. Though generally speaking there really is an enforcement problem when it comes to cables, sometimes cables don’t even meet basic USB specs much less high-speed high-power specs.