• Meldrik
      link
      fedilink
      1511 months ago

Lemmy.world is run by the same people as mastodon.world. I guess a lot of users from mastodon.world went to Lemmy.world and the rest was word of mouth.

• @Laticauda@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        1111 months ago

I think the name does a lot of heavy lifting in regards to pulling in new users. It sounds more official or general because of the world part.

• @tea@lemmy.today
          link
          fedilink
          811 months ago

Yeah, people just want a “generic” place because they generally don’t want to be pidgeon holed. I have nice and inoffensive lemmy.world and lemmy.today accounts because of this. I’m basically a vanilla NPC in my life and “sh.itjust.works” is simply too spicy!

• EmotionalSupportLancet [undecided]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      511 months ago

I think the draw is that it’s trying really hard to basically be Reddit on the fediverse. For the people who use the fediverse as a Reddit alternative that is probably seen as good.

• EmotionalSupportLancet [undecided]
          link
          fedilink
          English
          511 months ago

I agree, they’re speedrunning every bad decision that allows Reddit to be such a festering reactionary shithole.

The Reddit refugee wave is mad about Apollo not the fact Reddit sucks lol.

• @maracuya@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      11 months ago

wjats so good about lemmy.world compared to lemmy.ml

nothing. lemmy.ml just makes more sense to me.i figure the devs of the protocol should be able to maintain and update their own server, and so far that has proven to be correct.