Americans’ credit card debt levels have just notched a new, but undesirable, milestone: For the first time ever, they’ve surpassed $1 trillion, according to data released Tuesday by the Federal Reserve Bank of New York.

• @JeSuisUnHombre@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    3411 months ago

No one has enough money to live anymore. This isn’t a problem of people being reckless, they’re using credit because there isn’t enough money coming in to pay for everything.

• @BettyWhiteInHD@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        611 months ago

I wonder how many people got duped into hearing the recent “consumer spending up, unemployment low!” news and just started spending more because things are good again. Probably a big chunk.

• @Specific_Skunk@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          511 months ago

I’ve lived through enough financial crises that constantly hearing that (“Low unemployment! Go spend money! It’s fiiiiine, everything is GREAT!”) for the past year has made me a nervous wreck.

• @ImFresh3x@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          211 months ago

Consumer spending is up. Unemployment is low. Wages are up. Inflation is down.

That said, no one should choose to spend based on that. People should choose to spend based on their own personal financial security.

• @electrogamerman@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          211 months ago

I would say depends on how often you are taking $3k for vacation and how long it takes to pay it back. If you are taking vacation more often than you can pay back, then that’s reckless.