Americans’ credit card debt levels have just notched a new, but undesirable, milestone: For the first time ever, they’ve surpassed $1 trillion, according to data released Tuesday by the Federal Reserve Bank of New York.

• Very_Bad_Janet
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I will blame the consumer culture of the US (and the banking industry and media that promotes it; I can’t speak to other countries). They have made always having a balance on one’s credit cards the norm. I’m teaching my kids that credit cards are short term loans with usurous interest rates, that you should never borrow more than you can pay back within the month, and that you should never carry a balance. I had to teach a friend in his 30s that you shouldn’t carry a balance - he thought he needed one in order to maintain or improve his credit score. I’m sure he didn’t make up that misinformation- someone in SM surely promoted that idea. ETA: Fixed a typo that changed the meaning of a sentence.

• @echo64@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      311 months ago

It’s not the consumers’ fault that between staggeringly high rent, staggeringly low wages, and massive inflation, there isn’t space to save for your car suddenly developing a fault.

As I told the other person, blaming personal responsibility here is silly given the last decade.