• @primalanimist@lemmy.today
    link
    fedilink
    1211 months ago

Same reason I am here. I had two small communities for my interests there, but it was down so often that I decided to move here AND move my communities. This place seems a lot more stable. That’s really the downside of huge servers on lemmy IMO. If communities centralize on one server, whenever that one server is down, so are the communities for everyone.

I would totally run my own server but I’m not tech enough. I have spare hardware, and I have a 1GB fiber connection, but I am not a network security expert, so I am afraid my home IP address would be targeted and disrupt my house Internet in general. Even if I don’t allow others to create account or communities on my server, I still feel like it’s a risk for me because I am not skilled enough to deal with threats.

• @primalanimist@lemmy.today
        link
        fedilink
        211 months ago

Yes. Both were only a few months old and I was the only one posting in them anyway, so I just started going back through all the links and posting them here. I’m sure there will be tools for automating it down the road, without it spamming the local feeds of the server it’s moving to, but right now I know of no such application or feature.