• @CmdrShepard@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    111 months ago

So how is it an improvement to have the same myriad of different charging standards but also multiple different port configurations? Cables are capable of all these voltages but the charging circuitry is not and your USB-PD laptop charger will charge phones and anything else that share the same port. Adding a different port just ensures that you must buy different chargers/cables for each device. It also means that all accessories are useless once a manufacturer changes their proprietary port design.

I won’t argue that they could do a better job unifying additional standards like power delivery and data transfer speeds, but eliminating useless variations is an improvement regardless of how you want to spin it.

• @atzanteol@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      111 months ago

So how is it an improvement to have the same myriad of different charging standards but also multiple different port configurations?

If you think that’s my argument then you, and a dozen or so others, have sorely misunderstood anything I’m saying.

The purpose for these laws is ostensibly to “reduce e-waste” which is complete BS. And I know it’s BS because practically everyone arguing with me is NOT making that argument. It’s all about personal conveniences which is an abuse of state power and often has unintended consequences.