• @Naz@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I already owned this on Steam, still have the big box CD version of the game and I’ve got to say, this looks pretty much like I remember.

I played the shit out of Q2 in 1999-2002, maybe 3,000 hours combined in multiplayer and participated in a few amateur online tournaments.

It’s a faithful remaster. Not RTX Quake2 but man is it good.

The new expansion pack (Call of the Machine) is decent but definitely was built by a modern level designer. It’s a lot more “fantasy-esque” with duels rather than subterfuge.

Hardware demands: Around 1300 MHz Core for maxed out 1440p, so a GTX 1060 or equivalent will run this flying, without any framedrops whatsoever. Very light on system resources, maybe 1-2 GB of VRAM tops. You can have an excellent experience on a variety of older cards and even laptops.

(I’ve got an overclocked RTX 4080, which is patent overkill for basically everything right now).

I’d recommend trying to mod the game with higher fidelity textures if you still have them laying around, maybe a few HUD palette swap upgrades. The remaster is “Vanila++” so it’s pretty much untouched.