• @luciferofastora
    link
    English
    911 months ago

How “gated” is that community? As in: How hard would it be to grow into that community? If I migrated to hexbear, would I be treated with suspicion as an outsider, with wary indifference, or welcomed immediately?

The arguments and descriptors I see here are appealing, but I’ve just recently started using Lemmy and I’ve got this lingering sense of not belonging here (yet), hence ny insecurity.

• TillieNeuen [she/her]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      911 months ago

We love new users! Like the other reply says, there are some things we won’t bend on, but below that there are a lot of differing opinions. Come hang out with us for a while, comment on some posts, and see how it feels.

• @HornyOnMain@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      711 months ago

Ngl the quickest way to properly become part of the hexbear community in order of like, level of commitment required is probably to join, do like an intro post or something in c/chapotraphouse, maybe join the unofficial hexbear mastodon instance (toots.matapacos.dog) and maybe also like trans your gender or something

Also post and comment stuff ofc <3

• @luciferofastora
        link
        English
        911 months ago

Do I have to trans my gender? Can’t I just, like, not have one at all? I’d hate to lug something around I don’t need anyway.

Also, what the hell is that instance name?

Thanks for the pointers though!

• @HornyOnMain@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          611 months ago

Yeah being agender is cool too <3 the trans thing was only a joke really because so many of us are queer

And the instance is named after a south American dog that used to go around biting cops at protest lol

• @luciferofastora
            link
            English
            911 months ago

Yeah being agender is cool too <3 the trans thing was only a joke really because so many of us are queer

Oh I figured, I just wanted to make a joke of my own at the expense of gender :D

a south American dog that used to go around biting cops at protest lol

Huh, I wonder why. Did they smell of pork? ;-)

• barrbaric [he/him]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      611 months ago

So long as you follow the Hexbear party line you’ll be welcomed with open arms. All you have to do is be on the far left, don’t be sectarian, oppose the US and its propaganda, and love your trans comrades.

Oh, and don’t mention outdoor cats.

• @luciferofastora
        link
        English
        511 months ago

Uh… but you did just mention the thing you’re telling me not to mention.
        I prefer indoor cats anyway.

With “don’t be sectarian” I’m guessing you mean “don’t start fights over the specific flavour of lefty”? By some definition, willingness to bash the fash would also be considered sectarian, hence the question.

• silent_water [she/her]
          link
          fedilink
          English
          411 months ago

bashing the fash is table stakes. we ban anything even tangentially pro-fash. don’t be sectarian refers to useless inter-leftist infighting, which we don’t allow.

the outdoor cats thing is a joke about the very first argument on the website that escalated into a full-blown struggle session (whether vegans stop being vegans if they own outdoor cats - I can’t even pretend to understand the argument).

• @luciferofastora
            link
            English
            311 months ago

bashing the fash is table stakes. we ban anything even tangentially pro-fash.

Good.

don’t be sectarian refers to useless inter-leftist infighting, which we don’t allow.

Good

the outdoor cats thing is a joke about the very first argument on the website that escalated into a full-blown struggle session (whether vegans stop being vegans if they own outdoor cats - I can’t even pretend to understand the argument).

Uh… I think I can, but I’m scared to check the logic. Might fry a circuit or three.