• @Holyginz@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    7611 months ago

I remember fondly playing overwatch 1 with my friends and sinking in hundreds of hours. If they wanted to break into the steam market they should have done it with the first one. Not with their lackluster, phoned in sequel. This was just stupid of them.

• DarkGamer
      link
      fedilink
      7611 months ago

Let’s be real, Overwatch 2 was an update patch that they tried to sell as a sequel.

• @Mereo@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        4911 months ago

An update patch that introduced the most amazing feature: monetization!

• @LadyAutumn@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        2411 months ago

An update implies they changed something to the game. This was just an update to the monetization. A blatant pure cash grab sold as a sequel game. Its a travesty, and if they had any decency they’d scrap it, apologize, and release “Overwatch 2 A Realm Reborn” that is an actual legitimate sequel to the original game.

• @Zalzabar@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        611 months ago

Lol when I first updated it the game didn’t replace my desktop icon so it was still saying overwatch 1 so yes just stupid patch that ruined a perfectly good game haven’t returned since

• VanillaGorilla
        link
        fedilink
        -711 months ago

I loved Assassin’s Creed 2, so I didn’t bat an eye buying Brotherhood and Revelations as they had the same basic background. They were full price games and I played for about 15 to 20 hours on each. That’s not much for full price. They were basically just new story lines for the main game.

• VanillaGorilla
            link
            fedilink
            -511 months ago

Sure, and I did. Multiple times. It’s just that the tower spin offs are too expensive. AC2 was about double the gaming for the same price.

• @CoderKat@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          11 months ago

Personally, I sometimes like when a game feels like just a new storyline (and map) for the same game. Sometimes I just want more of a good thing and don’t want to have to learn new mechanics or risk the game making things worse.

And since dev time is limited, I think in theory, this could mean more time could be spent on making the story missions perfect. But in practice, I don’t think that usually happens. Publishers would rather cheap out.