• @LittleLordLimerick@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    611 months ago

Plex is just a media server. You have to acquire content through some other means, then you can host it on a Plex server and stream it to any device that has the Plex app installed.

I have a Plex server that my entire family has logins for, and I put whatever movies or shows people are interested in. Basically you can make your own mini Netflix.

• @GreenMario@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      211 months ago

I got Plex on a RasPi3 and an external 2TB. I have to limit to 1080p/x264 but works quite well.

If I want 4K I’ll buy the disc, downloading even Blu-ray quality is so goddamn big.

• @LittleLordLimerick@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        311 months ago

Not quite, I think those just stream over Wi-Fi like Chromecast?

Plex has a full media server application that your can run on a computer, and you can stream your media from it over the internet to any device that has the Plex client app.

I have a Plex server set up and running on an old laptop in my bedroom with a huge library of movies and TV shows. It acts like basically any streaming service such as Netflix, but it’s my own stuff. I can watch from anywhere on any device that has a Plex client app. I can also send invitations to friends and family so they can access it, too.