• @samus7070@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      8111 months ago

I wish I could say that Google is better at that. It’s basically the same story but with even less humans to talk to when you’re flagged for doing something wrong or in the case of Google your former college roommate whom you haven’t seen in 10 years did something wrong. It’s the price all mobile devs pay unless they only want to distribute to a small subset of users who have liberated their phones.

• @anon@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        4411 months ago

when I started with mobile apps google was easy and apple was a problem.

nowadays apple is very clear on what they allow and what they don’t and it’s possible to go back and forth with them to get something approved.

google is trying their hard to be as strict as apple while putting 0 of the effort in to correct problems. not to mention that android is a fucking piece of garbage to maintain. you have like 4 deadlines per year, you need to update this or that thing or your app won’t work on this or that device, or the deprecation deadline for fucking safetynet arrives and they take two weeks to repair the google play integrity service.

• voxel
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          11 months ago

tbh i think that safetynet and other attestation features are a waste of time and should die.

• @samus7070@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          411 months ago

There was a time when at least once a month on that “other site”’s android channel that you would see a post about someone getting their account permanently banned. Sometimes it was because they made a spammy app while in high school or college but had turned over a new leaf and were using a new Google account. Sometimes it was a company who had employed someone who had been previously banned but only ever signed into the play console under a company email but probably also signed into their personal mail on the work machine. How true are the claims? I can’t say.

• fades
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      11 months ago

you do realize in this regard google/Apple are two sides of the same coin right?

• @Blackmist@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          English
          511 months ago

I tried to follow an Android tutorial (in Kotlin, so it should have been a modern one) a while ago, and the only conclusion I can come to is it was all designed by 500 different people over 15 years who never spoke to each other, and nobody ever dared throw anything away.

I’ve never seen such a basic CRUD app (and incidentally wasn’t even doing the C, U or D of that) take so many lines of code to do “properly”. Nothing that simple should be that complex. Everything seems geared up for “what if you want to translate to 100 different languages, change the back end at any point, and individually configure forms for these 80 different aspect ratios on devices?” Yeah, what if I don’t?

I still use Delphi for my sins, and while it has its faults (mostly that it’s closed source, and no fucker else uses it so I can’t work anywhere else), but simple apps like that are “drop a few things on a form, add half a dozen lines of code and run it”.

There’s all these places in Android that should be easy, but because you’re going through three levels of XML files and umpteen factory classes, it isn’t.

• @Hudell@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        411 months ago

Eh, no need to bring the iOS/Android fight into this. OP saw an opportunity for a joke and took it. The butt of the joke is iOS because that’s what the sub is about. If it were for android the same joke could be made, though folks would probably make different ones with other more glaring issues that Google has.

• @Callie@pawb.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Fr, that shit should be left on Reddit where the only reason people said it was for upvotes.

Snarky ass comments or just being hateful is 100% gonna drive away users from this platform