The world’s largest chipmaker promised to create thousands of US jobs. There are growing tensions over whether US workers have the skills or work ethic to do them.::Jobs at the TSMC semiconductor factory in Arizona could require long hours and total obedience. Americans may push back on the company’s culture.

• @donut4ever@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    12611 months ago

So that’s what this is about 😂 Enslave workers and require them to be on call 24/7? GTFO with this shit, skills and work ethics they say.

• @ErikDegenerik@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      5211 months ago

Yeah and TSMC complains about US workers but at the same time keeps opening new plants there. It’s pretty obvious what it’s like to work for TSMC.

• @donut4ever@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        2511 months ago

Yup, no joke, thinking about it made me stressed for the people who work there. Damn, must be hell on earth. Yikes. I’m ok with being an IT working from home. They can keep their jobs.

• @jws_shadotak@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          711 months ago

Not much IT work without semiconductors, which is what Taiwan is known for producing en masse. A lot of these decisions to open new factories elsewhere are because of China’s constant threats to invade Taiwan.

• @Yendor@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        811 months ago

You know the US government is paying TSMC hundreds of millions of dollars to open plants in the US, right?

• @assassinatedbyCIA@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        611 months ago

TSMC is likely opening new plants in the US for geopolitical reasons. I.e. they open a plant in the US and get some us domestic silicon manufacturing underway and the US gives them security guarantees.

• @donut4ever@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        2711 months ago

Yup, it’s kind of sad that that shit is actually considered a “culture” thing. Exploiting workers should never be that. Wtf