YouTube and Reddit are sued for allegedly enabling the racist mass shooting in Buffalo that left 10 dead::The complementary lawsuits claim that the massacre in 2022 was made possible by tech giants, a local gun shop, and the gunman’s parents.

• @ArbitraryValue@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Well, even Americans without guns are much more violent than people in other first-world countries. Our non-gun homicide rate is higher than the total homicide rate in (for example) France or Germany.

There’s an interesting discussion of the statistics here.

So my interpretation is that gun control is likely to reduce the murder rate, but the change will not be nearly as dramatic as many gun-control supporters seem to expect. Guns aren’t most of the problem.

• @FireTower@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      410 months ago

Means≠motivation. Having the capacity to do something doesn’t drive one to do so.

I’m not deeply researched on this case but from what I know I’d imagine that poor solication combined with being accepted into a group who’d espouse those kind of views contributed to their actions. Not to say that any of those websites did anything particularly to drive their actions.