It uncovered eight WHO panelists involved with assessing safe levels of aspartame consumption who are beverage industry consultants who currently or previously worked with the alleged Coke front group, International Life Sciences Institute (Ilsi).

Their involvement in developing intake guidelines represents “an obvious conflict of interest”, said Gary Ruskin, US Right-To-Know’s executive director. “Because of this conflict of interest, [the daily intake] conclusions about aspartame are not credible, and the public should not rely on them,” he added.

• CIWS-30
    link
    fedilink
    211 months ago

Agree. Even recently, I would have up to 5-6 cans worth myself (have since cut down a lot), but alongside the financial cost, there’s also the acid eating away at your stomach lining and the excess caffeine to worry about alongside the Aspartame.

Frankly, given the stomach issues and acid reflux that too much soda can give you, I would imagine that people (even sodaholics) would have to stop much sooner than 20 due to all the other issues involved with sodas before the problems with Aspartame would even come into the picture.

Not to say that I’m not leery of Aspartame, but diet Soda has other major issues beside it.

• @chakan2@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      11 months ago

The soda acid thing is also a myth. The PH level of your stomach acid is much higher than soda.

Edit: Yes, had that backwards…but my point stands…stomach acid is more acidic than soda. It’s not an issue.

Yes…I concur, it’s terrible for your teeth.

• VulKendov
        link
        fedilink
        411 months ago

Lower pH means stronger acid. Soda is not more acidic than you stomach acid. The real danger that the acidity of soda poses is to your teeth.

• Hot Saucerman
          link
          fedilink
          English
          211 months ago

And considering the knock-on effects to the rest of your body from your teeth, it’s not an issue to sneeze at.

• downpunxx
        link
        fedilink
        111 months ago

cut a stomach open, spread the stomach acid on a painted car hood, eat that shit right off. saying it’s the same ph as stomach acid, is like saying 1 of a thing is safe but 2 of the same thing has to be safe as the 1 thing. idiocy. and said with such confidence. ah the internetz, such a boon to humanity.