Most people are aware that gasoline sucks as a fuel and is responsible for a large portion of carbon emissions, but defenders love to trot out that “if every end consumer gave up their car, it would only remove like 10% of carbon emissions”

I can find tons of literature about the impact gasoline vehicles have, but is there any broader studies that consider other factors—like manufacture, maintenance, and city planning—while exploring the environmental and/or economic impact of cars and car culture?

I know there’s great sources that have made these critiques, but I’m looking for scientific papers that present all the data in a single holistic analysis

• SootyChimney [any]
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    11 months ago

You occasionally see studies that include mention cost of manufacture - For instance Cuba technically has lower car emissions mainly because the embargo has forced them to constantly repair cars rather than get new ones. Not aware of any mention of the other facts like maintenance and city planning though, would be cool to see more data about it if it exists.

• @BaumGeist@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      611 months ago

Re city planning:

The youtube channel Not Just Bikes has a lot to say about car-centric design, but isn’t as data heavy as I’m looking for. They also have a series on the organization Strong Towns, whom does have more data in their critiques of car-centric city planning, but they spread everything out across half a day’s worth of videos and recorded talks, and even more in podcasts and books and an online “academy.”