It uncovered eight WHO panelists involved with assessing safe levels of aspartame consumption who are beverage industry consultants who currently or previously worked with the alleged Coke front group, International Life Sciences Institute (Ilsi).

Their involvement in developing intake guidelines represents “an obvious conflict of interest”, said Gary Ruskin, US Right-To-Know’s executive director. “Because of this conflict of interest, [the daily intake] conclusions about aspartame are not credible, and the public should not rely on them,” he added.

• Silverseren
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Okay, corruption like that should be corrected. Regardless, there’s no scientific evidence that aspartame is harmful. Let alone a biochemical reason for why a dipeptide of two amino acids, phenylalanine and aspartic acid, that dissociates in the stomach into its constituent components and some byproducts would be harmful in the first place.

Unless you have phenylketonuria, but you have much bigger problems in that case and, if that is the case for you, kudos on being at an age and capability to read and understand this post, you are incredible.

Edit: Also, just noticed the part about US Right To Know, which is a well known anti-science group that’s been pushing pseudoscience and fearmongering about other topics, such as biotechnology, for years. So them being involved here raises questions.

• Silverseren
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        911 months ago

Then drink the Diet Coke with Splenda one? There’s also Coke Life that has stevia instead. They basically made sure they have a version with each type of sweetener.

• @Sassy@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            1911 months ago

Fuck yes. Why is there sugar added to applesauce and fruit juice? Why is it so hard to find low calorie drinks that don’t contain artificial sweeteners? The way to curb sugar intake is moderation.

• @Myrhial
              link
              English
              611 months ago

Sugar is antibacterial, hence why honey can stay good like forever. It’s a cheap way to increase shelf life that also makes people really like the food because we evolutionary seek that stuff out. It’s not right though. We work long hours so convenient foods should allow us to buy back some time. But when they’re all like this, you end up either having to do it yourself or risk your health. There should absolutely be limits. But with food costs as they are, who is going to fight for that? The alternatives are more expensive, or you reduce shelf life. It’s much better regulated here in the EU but we too are still not there, obesity is still on the rise.

• oce 🐆
                link
                fedilink
                -310 months ago

It’s tasty, cheap, antibacterial and gives attractive colors (caramel). That’s why companies like to put it everywhere, it’s just awfully convenient.

• @Aceticon@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              411 months ago

Were I live sugar is added to cider, making it basically extra sweet apple juice with a touch of alchool.

• @CanadianCorhen@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                211 months ago

Oh god, Okanagan Cider is so, super sweet. Might as well drink sugar water with added alcohol.

I live near a cidery, and everything is a dry or semi-dry. So much better.

• @Urbanfox@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              210 months ago

I live in the UK and was astounded at the sugar consumption when I visited the US.

The most interesting one was bread - it was so sweet, almost like cake, while our bread is just plan savoury bread.

There seems to be an OTT approach to added sweetness that I thought was bad in the UK but is next level in north America.

Another key difference was the milk in coffee shops. I went into Double cup and found some half and half (semi skimmed milk?) and dumped a bunch of it in my coffee. Nope literally half cream half milk. Blllerchhhh.

That just doesn’t even exist over here.

• ඞmir
              link
              fedilink
              110 months ago

You can also just get fruity syrup and make syrup juice with a lot of water.

• quadropiss
            link
            fedilink
            -111 months ago

Nope, not an option. If I want a glass of coke after I brushed my teeth - I don’t want any sugar in it

• @Urbanfox@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              210 months ago

Drinking coke - sugar free or otherwise - right after you brush your teeth will still fuck up your teeth.

It’s rammed full of acid.

• quadropiss
                link
                fedilink
                210 months ago

Except it doesn’t stay in your mouth for hours because you salivate. With sugar, judging by how my mouth feels, the bacteria stays and probably has a whole ass banquet for hours after

• @BlueDwaggin@pawb.social
            link
            fedilink
            411 months ago

I find that Stevia has a vaguely creamy flavour to it. Which works well in some instances, and not in others.

Aspartame just tastes awful, for me I get this weird sticky/bitter sensation over the roof of my mouth and turn my throat.

Splenda/Sucralose tastes fine, but has noticeable effects elsewhere, which are a bit TMI.

• @Saneless@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          011 months ago

That’s not better. Splenda just tastes odd. And I haven’t seen that in stores in years, and I don’t remember liking it the first time around

• @gamer@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        511 months ago

Aspartame isn’t only safe, it also goes GREAT with a cold glass of Coke Zero™! *

*these statements have not been approved by the FDA

• @LucidNightmare@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      711 months ago

I especially like the part where they get away scot free, and the guy is just telling us to ignore them… maybe fire them for the conflict of interests? Ugh.