The world’s top chess federation has ruled that transgender women cannot compete in its official events for females until an assessment of gender change is made by its officials.

• The dogspaw
    link
    fedilink
    English
    2811 months ago

This isn’t like running or something where men have a significant advantage physically over women just make it mixed gender and be done with it people can claim whatever gender they want and chess can avoid getting into a politically charged firestorm

• @Maalus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      1211 months ago

Except because of some factors, that’s exactly the case. There have been around 2000 grandmasters ever. Only around 40 are women. Don’t ask me why, I’m not touching the topic with a 10 meter pole.

• @ephemeral_gibbon@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        811 months ago

Probably because there have been a lot more make chess players in general historically. It’s still a long way from an even split today and was probably even more imbalanced.

• @kaffiene@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          -111 months ago

No it isn’t. Genius distribution is different between men and women but STEM isn’t populated solely, or even significantly, by geniuses

• @Asymptote@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        111 months ago

There have been many studies done on the factors that are relevant. There are near irrefutable mounds of evidence.

However, the biggest brained take on this is,

I’m not touching the topic with a 10 meter pole.

• @phoenixz@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      411 months ago

Please use some punctuation, your comment was really hard to read.

Having said that, I agree

• @Shanedino@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      311 months ago

There is already an open division there is just also a womens division to provide additional support and opportunities for women in chess.