A new messaging app is in development, and the project is described as “an open source WhatsApp for the Fediverse.”

• Lucia [she/her]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      1010 months ago

For some weird reason many people just plain ignore the existance of XMPP when they’re discussing decentralized protocols. Is it because Matrix outshadowed it?

• poVoq
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        10 months ago

There is this wierd meme that IRC is “outdated” and XMPP is “dead”, both of which is completely untrue, but somehow the tech-bro hivemind continues to spout this nonsense when ever the topic comes up.

• @timbuck2themoon@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          310 months ago

AFAIK the most complained about thing with xmpp is that there are so many standards and every server isn’t guaranteed to implement them. That and just being old which is no curse but people take that as a negative sometimes.

It’s honestly pretty good IMO.

• Franzia
          link
          fedilink
          110 months ago

Thank you, Ive seen this repeatedly and now Ive been better informed.

• Hominine
      link
      fedilink
      English
      510 months ago

Feels like Jabber has been around for a long time. If I’m not mistaken I remember my buddy pimping it as an AIM alternative back in the Napster/mp3 days.

• Sean TilleyOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      210 months ago

XMPP is fantastic, but I feel as though it suffers from half-baked clients, most of which are a decade old and look the part.

I’d really love to see a “modern” WhatsApp-like take on an XMPP messenger, but I haven’t found any. Admittedly, I haven’t looked in some time.

• poVoq
        link
        fedilink
        510 months ago

Give it another look. The popular Android client Conversations is getting an UI overhaul right now (unreleased), Monal for iOS has also improved a lot, and this is a promising looking take on a Telegram like UI: https://moxxy.org/

Dino and Gajim also improved a lot on the desktop side. Overall there is some renewed interest by client developers and the Jabber federation is growing again I think.

• Sean TilleyOPM
          link
          fedilink
          English
          110 months ago

That’s really great news! I’ll look into those. 😁

• LPS
        link
        fedilink
        110 months ago

@deadsuperhero
        I agree, I use xmpp all the time, but the clients are really underwhelming… Not sure how it’s so complicated to give them a facelift to update them while keeping the existing functionality. This reminds me of the debates about the #blender ui in the past, where gray beards argued that the interface was just fine…aesthetics matter;)
        @poVoq

• LPS
            link
            fedilink
            110 months ago

@Samsy
            I’ll need to take a look, I haven’t used k9 in ages

• LPS
                link
                fedilink
                110 months ago

@Samsy
                Wow, you were right very nice. Amazing what a little polish can do.

Another app that transformed with UI updates is gajim, the desktop xmpp client.