The first of the tools Denuvo is offering to Switch developers is Nintendo Switch Emulator Protection, a “revolutionary technology to protect games launching on Nintendo Switch from piracy”.

According to Denuvo, the new tech can be applied to Switch games to block the ability to play them on PC emulators.

“Even if a game is protected against piracy on its PC version, the version released on Nintendo Switch can be emulated from day one and played on PC, therefore bypassing the strong protections offered on the PC version,” the company says. “This can happen with any of the numerous games available on Nintendo Switch.

• @brsrklf@compuverse.uk
    link
    fedilink
    4110 months ago

Even if a game is protected against piracy on its PC version, the version released on Nintendo Switch can be emulated from day one and played on PC, therefore bypassing the strong protections offered on the PC version,”

Are there that many multi-platform games that have denuvo and a switch version too?

I’d think most games “big enough” for denuvo wouldn’t have a switch port anyway.

• @inverimus@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      2910 months ago

That was my thought. Most games that are on both PC and Switch are not big enough to want to pay Denuvo for their services. Any game that is big enough to care probably also can’t afford to take the Denuvo performance hit (that they claim doesn’t exist) on the under-powered Switch.

link
      fedilink
      510 months ago

There were a few years back. The Tony Hawk remasters cone to mind

• @worfamerryman@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      410 months ago

There are a surprising amount of pc games on switch. I’m not sure if all these titles have denuvo on PC but as an example.

Dragon Quest 11 Doom Eternal Divinity original sin 2 Disco Elysium Most resident Evil games There are a lot of other games that have a switch port, but I’m too tired to think about it further.

• @probably@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      310 months ago

Sonic frontiers and persona 5 royal both have denuvo on PC I think and both are pretty big and great imo.