• @dontcarebear@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      210 months ago

Their existence is allowed as long as they recognize the CCP as the leading party. That is unusual for a Communist state, but it is definitely not a democracy.

Not that it is a bad thing, it is just not a democracy.

• @dontcarebear@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          210 months ago

Great, I wasn’t talking about America. I am also not American, so maybe you’re right about it being corrupt.

It doesn’t change the fact that China’s CCP allows other parties in a controlled manner, to such an extent that they are allowed to exist as long as they acknowledge the superiority of the CCP.

This leads to the tyranny of the majority, as explained in the writings of John Stewart Mill.

Is it morally wrong? I’m not sure you can judge China the same as other nations. I find China to be very complicated and unique in human history.

Is it a democracy? Certainly not a full one. The Majority’s tyranny is an easy discerning factor between democracies and republics.

• robot_dog_with_gun [they/them]
                link
                fedilink
                English
                210 months ago

communist party of china is the preferred nomenclature, communist parties are usually “communist” first and whatever nation state second, see see pee is a western invention, maybe to scare boomers by reminding them of the CCCP but i’m not sure we have a memo or leak about why the switch was made.

people have mentioned older coverage when china was not the big scary enemy where capitalist media referred to the cpc correctly, but i don’t have arbitrary 1990s newspaper articles at hand.

link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    110 months ago

presumably how their legislators and executives get their jobs, and who gets to vote would make china a democracy or not?

do you know whether they have elections or how they are held? do you know how proposed laws are considered and declined or instituted? or do you just hear “one party state” and make a pile of assumptions?

ancient athens, the american representative republic, westminster derived parliamentary systems, and school textbook direct democracy aren’t the only forms democracy can take, and frankly those systems (except for the school book one that isn’t used to run any countries) all have huge flaws and failings, and could fairly be called “not actually democracies” if we look at public opinion polling compared to what public policy is actually made.

link
            fedilink
            English
            410 months ago

“moving the goalposts” is an informal fallacy, and sports other than handegg have them, so the analogy being made should be perfectly comprehensible

• @dontcarebear@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              110 months ago

Once you wrote it like this, it is comprehensible. Still, first time I heard it. Don’t know what handegg is too.

After reading about the analogy, I fail to see which rules, process or competition was changed (or in this case, conversation) mid-play.

I was consistently talking about China, I was consistently talking about their party system and I was consistently talking about it being non-democratic in comparison to Democratic party systems where there are mechanisms to prevent the tyranny of the majority.

Also, the tyranny of the majority isn’t a new thing. The formationg of the modern democracy is circa 1800’s. It is a system that was conceived centuries ago. a century before communism. It’s not like I pulled a fast one here.

I didn’t even say that it is a bad thing for fuck’s sake. I haven’t even displayed my actual opinion.

I fail to see where the goalpost analogy fits here.