Many parent control apps are more like Spyware and are often also exactly that, Spyware which spy on your Kids. Or Google Family Link is also a great example which you can’t remove even if you want too (as parent). I already setup a non-child-friendly blocking DNS and set the Age Limit in the Google Play Store and did all the Privacy related stuff, but I’m still thinking how can I make a Android phone more secure for children? The threads I’m talking about are non-child-friendly content, malware, scams, etc.

• @ExtremeDullard@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    11 months ago

This is unfortunately why I moved the kids devices to iPhone/iPad.

I was not able to find any native methods of locking things down without involving third parties collecting a ton of data.

But creepy Apple collecting tons of data on your children is okay by you?

• @entropicshart@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Yes - that data is already being collected regardless of which OS you choose; this is at least contained to the creator of your OS, not yet another entity.

Also, iOS being arguably less than Google’s collection and use.

• @ExtremeDullard@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Yes - that data is already being collected regardless of which OS you choose; this is at least contained to the creator of your OS, not yet another entity.

Not if you install a deGoogled OS such as LineageOS, CalyxOS, Iodé or /e/,

Also, iOS being arguably less than Google’s collection and use.

Don’t drink the kool-aid. Apple’s reputation for being a privacy-respecting company is entirely fictional and created by Apple’s marketing department. They collect as much data as Google does, make no mistake about it.

And even if they didn’t, I don’t consider “a little less” privacy invasion remotely good enough - especially when it’s my children’s privacy!

• @entropicshart@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          911 months ago

We’re talking out of the box solutions; what you’re talking about is custom roms that will be above most people’s skill set and time to do so.

iPhones are a thing because they simply work - that is a much bigger selling point than anything else you and I could suggest.