• @whofearsthenight@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    3010 months ago

Although I don’t disagree, publicly announcing turnover stats that are far below average kinda blows a giant hole in the “LMG is a toxic hellhole” narrative. I’ve been in toxic hellholes, and turnover tells the real story.

This also doesn’t negate necessarily Madison’s statements and there probably have been real issues, but I think this is the part of the video where he said (paraphrased) “don’t panic about a rise in intentional turnover.” I lead a team about LMG’s size, and people often don’t realize that you can say and demonstrate your values consistently at this size, and still have someone fuck it up because some people just come to the org with the wrong learned behavior and it’s gargantuan to re-program them to a healthy state, and a smaller few are just unsalvageable assholes. See also, the Stanford Prison experiment. It would extremely not blow my mind to learn that a few people or a particular team in LMG are entirely toxic and it was missed, and also that the experience for the vast majority doesn’t match with this and they’re trying to run an ethical company. My (optimistic) assumption is that the intentional turnover comment is probably going to focus on those that Madison dealt with.

• @themusicman@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      810 months ago

If I had to guess, I’d say the turnover stats only count full employees, and are therefore a reflection of their “trial period” hiring policy more than anything else. They avoid needing to officially “fire” people they don’t like, and anyone who isn’t comfortable with the culture can leave without needing to “resign”.

On top of that, LTT holds “dream job” status in many people’s minds, so a lower-than-average turnover is expected, and it’s impossible to distinguish that effect from the working conditions.

I’m not saying it’s necessarily a bad place to work, I’m just saying the stats they gave are inconclusive.

• @whofearsthenight@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        010 months ago

If I had to guess, I’d say the turnover stats only count full employees, and are therefore a reflection of their “trial period” hiring policy more than anything else.

If they were deliberately manipulating the stats, that would come out quickly with the level of scrutiny they’re facing right now. Also, wholeheartedly agree with a trial period. They’re good for the company obviously for lots of reasons, but a less obvious one is rooting out cultural fits and problem people like this. Also, I think this is better for the employee as well - it’s much better for mental health to have a clean break than it is to spend the next 6 months going through “performance improvement plans” and such.

• @themusicman@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          210 months ago

Never said the trial period was bad, nor that they were “manipulating” the figures per se (including temp employees in the stats wouldn’t make sense at all). It just makes comparing against the national average a little silly.

• @Hazzard@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      110 months ago

Agreed, I thought mentioning those statistics was a tasteful way of addressing that conversation as best as possible in a YouTube video, and those “people will be fired” comments felt like a clear commitment to rooting out and going as far as firing anyone creating that kind of environment.

The amount of “Linus didn’t even talk about” in this thread is crazy to me, just feels like bad reading comprehension when he directly addressed most of the conversation (HR, work hours and environment, etc) and even committed to firing people in a video his staff will all be watching.