Business says it doesn’t serve anyone who is armed

• @Ashe@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    1910 months ago

In an overwhelming number of situations, yes. Cops are intended to prioritize property over people and convictions over justice. Those who speak out about injustices face retribution from their peers and little defense from their union. Police unions act as criminal legal defense to eschew responsibility.

There have even been legal cases of departments refusing to hire people because they were “too smart”. This is largely speculated to be due to fear of those who are more intelligent speaking out, and having a moral compass of their own rather than blindly following.

• @AngryCommieKender@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      910 months ago

Yep. I’m one of them. I applied to the cybercrimes division of the Lexington, KY PD in my naive youth and got an official letter saying they refused to hire me because they were worried that I would “get bored and pursue other employment.” Asked a couple of my lawyer friends and they all agreed that was code for “we’re afraid that you’ll notice all the shit we do, and try to prosecute us” aka, “you’re too smart.”