• @merc@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    1110 months ago

German is so weird. They came up with the concept of a neutral gender, but objects that obviously have no real gender (tables, boxes, sunglasses) don’t use neuter.

Like, what’s the process when they create a new word.

“Computer”… hmm, I think it’s female.

Nah, it’s neuter.

You guys are idiots, he’s obviously male!

Oh yeah, Gunther is right! Look at him!

• @BluesF@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      510 months ago

In gendered languages the “gender” of things other than people doesn’t really relate to human gender at all. It’s just a grammatical construct.

• @emergencyfood@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        110 months ago

Mostly yes, but a few gendered languages (Wikipedia lists the Yeniseian and most Dravidian languages, Dizi and Zande) use strict semantic criteria, so that the grammatical gender does correlate strictly with the actual gender 99% of the time.

• @Flumsy@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      210 months ago

Because we already had a word for “computer” (literally: calculator) which had the male article so when we started using the English word “computer” we kept the article :)

• @Krachsterben@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      210 months ago

My favourite is some words having different pronouns in different regions. Like der/die/das Nutella, der Butter, das Joghurt 😳

• @Darthjaffacake@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      110 months ago

I’m really curious what the process for it forming was like too but just gonna put it out there that gender in language generally has more to do with tracking what the word is than literally thinking stuff has gender. Originally there was a proposal to call it left and right to make it clear that it’s just a split.