Republican Georgia state Sen. Colton Moore on Tuesday told “War Room” host Steve Bannon that he plans to push the legislature to defund Fulton District Attorney Fani Willis’ prosecution of former President Donald Trump and 18 co-defendants, arguing that Trump’s prosecution threatens to ignite a “civil war.” Moore complained that indicted fellow state Sen. Shawn Still is going to have to spend “a million dollars” to defend himself in the case. “It’s just like Nazi Germany,” Moore claimed. “I mean, they want to call us the Nazis and their actions are Nazism.”

• be_excellent_to_each_other
    link
    fedilink
    11510 months ago

Please folks, especially those of you who like to push the “both sides” narrative. Recognize that while Democrats are not perfect, they are not these batshit insane Republicans that have wormed their way into power.

I want more choices, too. But until we have them - Republicans have been telling us exactly who they are since about 2016. Believe them. And do not vote them into power. Not locally, not at the state level, and for sure not at the federal level.

They have proven that they are incapable of seeing laws as anything more than tools to be leveraged against those not like them, and that they will skip right to violence when that fails.

I told one senator… we’ve got to put our heads together and figure this out. We need to be taking action right now. Because if we don’t, our constituencies are gonna be fighting it in the streets. Do you want a civil war? I don’t want a civil war. I don’t want to have to draw my rifle. I want to make this problem go away with my legislative means of doing so,"

Translation: “Just do what I say so I don’t have to get violent.”

Sounds a lot like an abuser explaining how if only you hadn’t made him angry, he wouldn’t have had to beat you.

Fuck these people. Get them out of power.

• @PostmodernPythia@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      810 months ago

Every time a popular vote loser wins the presidency, convincing people that voting will get anyone out of power becomes harder. Definitely vote if you’re in a swing state, because it can be harm reduction for the most vulnerable, but don’t pretend getting the Dems in will improve things much for most people. Our entire system is moribund, we just haven’t figured it out yet.

• be_excellent_to_each_other
        link
        fedilink
        2610 months ago

Republicans haven’t even fucked things up to the degree they want to yet. Dems may be less effective than we’d like, and some of them may not give a shit at all. But R is fully committed, pedal to the metal, driving towards the cliff edge, on a number of different axes. (that’s plural of axis not plural of axe. Am I misspelling that?)

I’ll take anything that is less bad than that.

If folks can vote third party without it becoming a stepping stone to R wins, I have no argument with that.