• tiredofsametab
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Yeah, I can read Chinese restaurant menus OK (usually; some names are less literal and I have no idea). From what I’ve seen on the net, I could deal with some navigation.

My sentences are a bit mean by design, but even a lot of signs use grammar like that.

For anyone wondering, the sentence might look like “the cat ate the mouse” but it’s actually the opposite (cat was eaten by mouse). More polite japanese grammar indirects things a lot and it can be really rough. For example, official documents, credit card applications, and a lot of signs. I’ve been in Japan most of a decade and it’s still tough

• @Rubanski@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      210 months ago

Interesting! Thanks for the insight. I also find it interesting that Japanese sometimes use their own Version of Kanji, neither traditional nor simplified Chinese. Like 楽 vs 樂 vs 乐。 Oftentimes the Kanji use feels “archaic” in contrast to Chinese to me. Not sure how to describe it. Maybe words like 駅? I can’t think of a good example from the top of my head but maybe you know what I mean?

• tiredofsametab
        link
        fedilink
        110 months ago

Japanese went through its own kanji simplification over time, codified in the postwar period.

Also, some characters were invented at different times, including when Japan was mostly in its sakoku period (no foreigners in/out except at the trading post in Dejima).