Could be as trivial as a type of food, a TV show, or something more serious.

• @Geek_King@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    1110 months ago

Coffee, it’s just too bitter for me, and by the time I get it tasting okay, it may as well be a dessert. People seem to form half of their personality around how much they love coffee, it makes me feel like I’m missing out.

• AphoticDev
      link
      fedilink
      1010 months ago

The problem might be the coffee itself. The stuff you buy at the store is often the cheaper robusta variety, which is known for its bitter taste. It’s why it’s cheap. Arabica coffee is smoother, and much less bitter in some cases. But anything from the store is also from multiple sources, meaning they take crops from all over the world and mix them together. Single source coffee is more expensive, but you can find varieties that are more delicate than store coffee and taste more fruity. Chances are you could find a kind you would be happy drinking with no added cream or sugar.

But then again, don’t push yourself to try it. It’s really no big deal if you don’t like coffee. And honestly, it’s not really good for you anyway, as caffeine is addictive and weaning yourself off of it can be a quite literal headache. Plus it raises your blood pressure, so depending on your health conditions, it might be really bad for you. You’re not missing anything to be sad over. And I say that as a coffee lover.

• iByteABit [he/him]
        link
        fedilink
        310 months ago

There are health benefits to coffee as well, as long as you do moderate consumption and don’t put sugar, I don’t think it’s that bad generally.

It is addictive though, and you feel exhausted for some days if you suddenly stop drinking.

• @GrayBackgroundMusic@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      610 months ago

If you’re interested in trying to like it, there are a few technique changes I’ve made over the years that have made me enjoy it. If you’re not interested, stop reading and enjoy your coffee free life. 😊

I used to only enjoy it from coffee shops and tolerate it when I made it at home, but I’ve learned a few tricks that helped.

1. a pinch of salt in the grounds. Yes, a pinch. 1/16 to 1/8 tsp per pot of coffee. If you can taste the salt, it’s too much. Got this tip from Alton Brown on Good Eats.

2. preheat your water. The standard American drip coffee maker cannot heat the first cup or 2 of water to boiling. It comes out around 160-180. Got this from James Hoffman on his YouTube.

3. lighter roasts. Dark roasts are like anything burned more.

4. grind fresh beans with a burr mill. Bladed coffee grinders make inconsistent chunks and dust. Burr mills don’t. Fresh beans have better and less bitter flavor.

The water and the salt tricks are easy. The lighter roast is more tricky bc grocery stores sell darker roasts. The burr grinder is harder bc they’re not super popular, so you may have to look for one.

• @BloodyFable@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      410 months ago

First off, do not do it if you don’t want to, King. But I have found I enjoy light roasts with cream, and yes, that’s a very far departure from what macho men call coffee, but who cares. A light roast will be less bitter and more acidic and sweet instead. Also something I’ve learned is that most people use far too many grounds in their coffee, so you get what amounts to over-steeped coffee that again has bad taste.

• @dublet@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        110 months ago

Definitely medium roast for me, instead of dark roast that most people seem to obsess about. More complex flavours IMO and it’s not bitter at all. Lighter roasts also have more caffeine than darker ones.

• @BloodyFable@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          110 months ago

I’m a medium light man myself but I didn’t want to go too into the frippery of it for someone saying they don’t like it at all. I need to get a hand grinder and grind my own beans at some point.

• musicmind333
      link
      fedilink
      210 months ago

@Geek_King @MisterHavoc ironically, I feel like I form half my personality on being one of the few people who Don’t drink coffee.

Own it! 😜 We’re better than them! We don’t need any weird brown bean water to become functioning human beings, much less be elitists about it. Psshht losers /s.

Jk y’all bean juice lovers are an alright bunch, I guess…

Enjoy what you enjoy, and enjoy that you enjoy it. Doesn’t matter what other people like

• @Geek_King@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        110 months ago

I love the idea of really owning it. Like how a ton of people have tattoos now, but I never once found something I could guarantee I’d love forever, so no tattoos for me. I should embrace my bean-water-less life while being unmarred by inky art!

• room_raccoon
          link
          fedilink
          110 months ago

I think not having tattoos is cool, since I think most people get them now. What about tea? Do you like tea? Coffee makes me jittery as hell and much too talkative, so I don’t drink it too often. But green tea is perfect.

• @Geek_King@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        210 months ago

Here’s the current running list of why I can’t be trusted: I don’t drink I’m an atheist I don’t like coffee I don’t like sports

Damn, I should just pack it in and assume no one will ever put trust in me for any reason lol Geek_King the Untrusted

• @PseudoSpock@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          210 months ago

Hold on there…

• +1 Don’t drink - You aren’t going to drive us into a pole from drinking alcohol
          • +1 Atheist - You aren’t going to try and govern our lives by some ancient full of crap text
          • -1 Don’t coffee - You could still drive us into a pole if you’re sleepy
          • +1 Don’t sports - You aren’t going to abuse your kids when your team loses… again… and again.

Sounds like you are actually coming out ahead here.

• @Geek_King@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        210 months ago

Yeah, they taste awful to me, very overpowering. I think I’ve heard some people can be more sensitive to bitter flavors, so it’s possible that’s why I don’t like anything with bitterness as one of its traits.

• @AA5B@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          110 months ago

Probably. I imagine I’m the opposite. I love bitter beer, chocolate, coffee: the bitterer, the betterer. However I really started thinking after a trip to India: I always loved spicy food, but the guys kept trying to find spicier stuff for me, and I outdid all of them. A culture renowned for spicy food had nothing on me