• @TheAndrewBrown@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    2610 months ago

I’ve always been interested in One Piece but just can’t commit to that long of a show. I wonder if they plan to tell the story more succinctly (which might be difficult since my understanding is the story isn’t finished yet). If they do, I might check this out

• @girl
      link
      English
      edit-2
      10 months ago

I was really enjoying watching the anime with my brother, it was one of the only ways we could stand to be around each other lol, so I was actually glad it had 1000+ episodes. Then there was a drastic shift in the over-sexualisation. In the beginning there are crazy proportions and little clothing, sure, but it didn’t bother me much. Then suddenly every episode started featuring a woman’s shirt bursting open, or a guy would sexually harass/assault women in “funny” ways. Apparently the creator married a very busty woman and claimed all the extra focus on tits was a loving tribute to his new wife 🙄 I just couldn’t stand it anymore, which was a shame because I was still pretty invested in the story.

• @secondaccountlemmy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        310 months ago

Is there any source to this info? Yes there are busty characters but the manga doesnt feel like it focuses on that at all. Try reading it from Thriller Bark as it may be the ridiculous pacing issues that the anime has that extends these scenes you are mentioning.

• @girl
          link
          English
          110 months ago

My brother looked it up, trying to defend the reasoning to convince me to keep watching. It didn’t work. So I don’t know his source, I wasn’t the one looking.

I finished the Arabasta saga, I don’t think I made it far into the next saga. I might try the manga, I handled the busty characters fine. Any particular reason you suggest starting from Thriller Bark?

• @secondaccountlemmy@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            310 months ago

Oh i thought you were far into it… I thought you meant Dressrosa or something for the oversexualization in the anime. I suggested thriller bark because thats when it becomes unbearable for the anime. Outside of One Pace.

But if you didnt like it by Alabasta im not sure theres anything to put you back into it.

If anything else, try the manga from that point and see if you like it. Power through it and if by some reason you still dont like it after Enies Lobby I suggest to drop it by then.

• @TheAndrewBrown@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        1810 months ago

Definitely, but I’d be willing to bet a good chunk of those 1000 episodes could be cut without losing much of the plot.

• @mnemonicmonkeys@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          10 months ago

You’re right. Though unlike what a lot of others will tell you, there’s not a lot of outright filler. Most of the added time is from panning shots and characters staring and not talking.

There’s actually a fan project that re-edits the series to take kess time and improve the pace a lot

• @bitsplease@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          410 months ago

I’ve never actually watched it, but my wife does, and I’ve seen enough to say you’re 100% right

• @forvirreth@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          410 months ago

There’s a whole bunch of fillers each time they remotely catch up to the Manga and several “guides” about which ones to skip etc. It’s not too hawrd to catch up if you make it a consistent low-time commitment like watching half an ep on the pooper

• @as_is_tradition@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          410 months ago

Do a search for “One Pace”. A good feeling pace is about 2 manga chapters per anime episode but the anime creators reduced that to 1 chapter per episode when they started running low on material. One Pace edits the anime to 2 chapters per episode and has it follow the manga more closely.

A sample of a scene from an episode with both versions compared:

https://youtu.be/n1z6umwBs5I