• @escapesamsara
    link
    2310 months ago

Python is legitimately the best language by far for the vast majority of non-performance critical tasks, and most tasks that need to be developed for are not performance critical.

• foo
      link
      fedilink
      1810 months ago

Heh, I was about to comment how my hot take is that Python is overrated. It’s… fine and I don’t really have anything against it for the most part, but I greatly prefer Ruby to Python.

I’m speaking purely about the language itself here, not any libraries available for it (since someone will always point out how great Python is for data work).

• @fubo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        10 months ago

My impression at the time was that Ruby and Python both caught on with people who were ready to be done with Perl.

And, later, that Go set out to be a replacement for Java, but ended up being a replacement for Python for people who were ready for type checking and built-in multithreading.

• @zagaberoo@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Me too! Even just the fact that only false and nil are falsey is enough for me to prefer Ruby. Being able to use ||= as an idiomatic one-time initializer is rad. Python’s OOP bothers me in a lot of ways compared to Ruby as well. And don’t get me started on Ruby’s blocks. . .

• @zagaberoo@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            10 months ago

You’re absolutely right, not sure where I thought I had read that.

Edit: It’s actually a bit less clear cut when you consider new vs old style classes, which took the Python 3 discontinuity to resolve. But still, it was wrong to imply that Python didn’t originally support OOP.

• @railsdev@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        310 months ago

Long term Ruby developer here; I did a coding bootcamp that focused on Django and hated it. The language feels like a step down. Crystal on the other hand…

• @CMahaff@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      1210 months ago

Oh man, I actually like the language, but you made me think of my own hot take:

Python has inexcusably poor docs.

Just a smattering of examples, which aren’t even that good, while failing to report key information like all the parameters a function can take, or all the exceptions it can throw. Any other popular language I can think of has this locked down and it makes things so much easier.

• TerrorBite :veripawed3:
        link
        fedilink
        610 months ago

Python has had syntax support for type annotations for a while now. The Python runtime doesn’t enforce the typing at all, but it can be enforced by a linter or by your IDE. And I believe you can introspect the type annotations at runtime, because they are actually part of the syntax.

There’s even an alternative way of doing type annotations through specially formatted comments, just in case you might still need to write code that is backwards compatible with Python 2.

@escapesamsara @navi @programming

• TehPers
          link
          fedilink
          English
          210 months ago

mypy is great, but it doesn’t come close to what you can do with TypeScript. I don’t think that’s necessarily a jab at Python (though TypeVar’s limitations do come up here and there), more just throwing TypeScript on a pedestal.

• TehPers
              link
              fedilink
              English
              110 months ago

I really wish Python had multi-line lambdas. Sadly Python is very opinionated in ways I don’t quite understand, but I can at least respect while using it.

For interfaces, honestly all I can suggest is using an ABC with only @abstractmethods. It’s not perfect, but it’s basically what you’d do in C++ anyway. If you’re looking for an interface that models data, you could look at dataclasses or TypedDict (depending on what kind of data it is), but it’s just not going to match what’s possible in TS sadly (mapped types, conditional types, complex union types, custom type guards, etc).

• AggressivelyPassive
        link
        fedilink
        710 months ago

I’d argue, 99% of the code written is not performance critical in the sense that a different language could help. Either performance really doesn’t matter that much, or it’s an IO problem. You can process as fast as you want, if the DB takes 100ms to respond, you won’t get below 100ms overall.

• @r1veRRR@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      310 months ago

For bigger projects, anything with MANDATORY types is a must for me. Optional, not compiler checked hinting doesn’t cut it.

Not that i hate the language, but I do hate the tooling around it. I don’t think I’ve ever had a pleasant experience with setting up a Python project. And all the data stuff is just wrappers for code in other languages, making the packaging story even uglier, even harder.

• @MajorHavoc@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        10 months ago

You’re right now to compromise on this, but you can give yourself mandatory types in Python, using MyPy, if that’s your only issue with it.*

Because you don’t need elegant subprocess handling, intuitive reliable logging, and don’t mind needing a to autonate a linter to check for whitesoace bullshit.*

**Python is my favorite language, actually. Really.