• Skoobie
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    10 months ago

So this means I’m allowed to fly my drone over prison yards then, right?

Edit: Also, doesn’t that then make it legal for folks to capture the drones? It’s on their property.

• Skoobie
        link
        fedilink
        English
        1110 months ago

Wait, we don’t own our property airspace? So then, and I’m not being facetious, the entire plot of the 2010 film Burlesque is complete bullshit?

I figured a drone over a prison was a no and I was just being humorous but the citizen’s lack of property airspace sucks. I get it for like a mile above your house because of planes, but drone height? That’s stupid.

What if the drone touches the ground or a surface that connects to the ground like a rooftop? Is it fair game then?

• gullible
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          10 months ago

Pretty sure you own ~100 feet above, 20 feet below and nothing further. If the police stay above a hundred feet then there’s no legal recourse for their spying. And now I’m going to read the article to learn why they’re spying on peoples’ 9/11 parties.

Edit: “an annual Caribbean festival marking the end of slavery that brings thousands of revelers”

• Skoobie
            link
            fedilink
            English
            610 months ago

My best guess is simply that it’s Labor Day weekend. People party a decent bit over it. And when people party, there’s a chance for cops to make some money, I mean arrests for dangerous dangerous crimes against society.

• gullible
              link
              fedilink
              710 months ago

I ninja’d you. It’s black people. They deployed drones because of black people. If police weren’t so eager to fit their stereotype, this would almost be unexpected.

• @cobra89@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            10 months ago

There is an expectation of privacy in the United States, and currently drones are in a legal grey area where case law hasn’t really been established yet.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expectation_of_privacy_(United_States)

This is why the the ACLU recommends the following safeguards:

Usage Limits: A drone should be deployed by law enforcement only with a warrant, in an emergency, or when there are specific and articulable grounds to believe that the drone will collect evidence relating to a specific criminal act.

Data Retention: Images should be retained only when there is reasonable suspicion that they contain evidence of a crime or are relevant to an ongoing investigation or trial.

Policy: Usage policy on drones should be decided by the public’s representatives, not by police departments, and the policies should be clear, written, and open to the public.

Abuse Prevention and Accountability: Use of domestic drones should be subject to open audits and proper oversight to prevent misuse.

Weapons: Domestic drones should not be equipped with lethal or non-lethal weapons.

Edit: formatting