• @30mag@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    3410 months ago

Microsoft announced today that it will deprecate WordPad with a future Windows update as it’s no longer under active development

I wonder what changes they’ve made to wordpad over the last 10 years… how many people have been working on it and stuff.

This sort of implies that Notepad is still under active development. That’s weird to think about.

• Aatube
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Notepad is, in fact, under active development. They recently upgraded find and replace so it works 90% of the time instead of 30% and added some annoying restore session by default feature. not to mention tabs

• @MrSpArkle@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        510 months ago

I interviewed at Microsoft decades ago and found a bug in notepad during my interview when they gave me a laptop and asked me how I would test notepad.

Their faces indicated that this was not supposed to be a productive exercise.

• @btaf45@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      1010 months ago

it will deprecate WordPad with a future Windows update as it’s no longer under active development

It doesn’t need “active development” because it is perfect the way it is. Unix/Linux has tons of useful programs that haven’t been in active development for 40-50 years.

• @viking@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      English
      610 months ago

Notepad is just a barebones text editor. I doubt there were any substantial changes since Windows 95, other than ensuring it runs on a 32 and later 64 bit infrastructure, and the menu works with newer releases. That sounds like a 1h per quarter job at most.

• decadentrebel
      link
      fedilink
      English
      -710 months ago

I haven’t been using Wordpad for 20+ years. Notepad could do everything it does already. Then, you also have Firefox’s built-in inspect to tinker with code on the fly.