• @WhipTheLlama@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1710 months ago

If you know you can’t be evicted unless you stop paying rent and the rent is cheap enough, it’s not a bad idea to renovate it a bit. I told my friend he should quietly renovate his rental apartment because he hated the kitchen and all the flooring. He was paying $2k under market price, had rent control, and because it’s a corporate landlord, they can’t evict him unless he misses rent a lot or harasses other tenants.

My friend opted to buy a condo instead, so while his mortgage is more than his rent was, at least he’s earning equity and a rising housing market.

• @dan@upvote.au
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        10 months ago

It’s very uncommon to find available rent controlled apartments. Some of the leases allow you to pass the apartment and its current pricing to a child, so there’s a lot of them where the same family has lived there for 20+ years and just passed the lease down the family.

In my area, there’s some newer rent controlled ones, but they’re only available to low-income families (which makes sense to me). There’s also California-wide rent control for most properties which mandates a maximum increase of CPI + 5% per year, capped at 10%. It’s not really rent control though, since the rent still rises higher than inflation (eg if inflation is 3%, the rent can still go up as much as 8%).

• @aceshigh@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      410 months ago

yeah, you have to do the math to calculate the total expenses since maintenance fees can be very expensive in condos, much higher than paying for a rent control or stabilized apt.