link
    fedilink
    2110 months ago

Yep, and I’m pretty sure they almost got sued over not disclosing it too

• Zagorath
      link
      fedilink
      810 months ago

If it’s based in Mastodon then it’s he wrong to say it’s the exact opposite of Mastodon, no?

That’s like saying a Lemmy app is the opposite of another Lemmy app, if one app defaulted to Lemmygrad and the other to Exploding Heads.

• Decoy321
        link
        fedilink
        1110 months ago

They meant in other contexts. As in, the latter is a decent platform full of ways to find educated, diverse commentary. The former is an echo chamber filled with rancid, hate-filled bullshit.

• XusonthaOP
        link
        fedilink
        410 months ago

Well, more of the antithesis since the kind/stance of the content

• pjhenry1216
        link
        fedilink
        310 months ago

It’s essentially forked mastodon. There’s no federation with it. It’s just using the core functionality. Plus Mastodon’s development had a goal and vision. TruthSocial is somewhat antithetical to it.

• @KIM_JONG@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        310 months ago

But there’s a difference between branding and backend implementation.

If I search for Lemmy.world and I get back hexbear, are you going to say that’s the right result since they are both Lemmy?

• cynetri (he/any)
      link
      fedilink
      English
      410 months ago

Yup, they didn’t comply with the license Mastodon uses (Affero General Public License) by not publishing the source code and making it accessible via something like a button and they got a legal notice to either add one or get sued