Hello all, sorry for such a newbish question, as I should probably know how to properly partition a hard drive, but I really don’t know where to start. So what I’m looking to do is install a Debian distro, RHEL, and Arch. Want to go with Mint LMDE, Manjaro, and Fedora. I do not need very much storage, so I don’t think space is an issue. I have like a 500+ something GB ssd and the few things that I do need to store are in a cloud. I pretty much use my laptop for browsing, researching, maybe streaming videos, and hopefully more programming and tinkering as I learn more; that’s about all… no gaming or no data hoarding.

Do I basically just start off installing one distro on the full hard drive and then when I go to install the others, just choose the “run alongside” option? or would I have to manually partition things out? Any thing to worry about with conflicts between different types of distros, etc.? hoping you kind folks can offer me some simple advice on how to go about this without messing up my system. It SEEMS simple enough and it might be so, but I just don’t personally know how to go about it lol. Thanks alot!!

• @Macaroni9538@lemmy.mlOP
    link
    fedilink
    110 months ago

Oh I just watched a video about home. So is that a partition of it’s own? the guy was saying he was using different homes for each distro and it became a mess, so he planned to install one home directory for all distros… idk?

• Lvxferre
      link
      fedilink
      410 months ago

/home is a directory (“folder”). Inside that directory, there’s one subdirectory for each user, where you’re expected to keep your personal files, configuration files, user data from software (e.g. save games from your games), stuff like this, personal data.

And Linux allows you to mount any partition in any directory of your choice.

Because of those two things, a lot of people create a partition and mount it as /home. So if something bad happens with the distro, and you need to reinstall it, your princess is in another castle your data is in another partition, safely stored. It’s usually a good idea, but in your case it’s a bad idea - because your /home/[insert username] directory from one distro will be likely the same as in the other distros, so they’ll interfere on each other, and software user data will become a mess.

Instead, what I recommend you is to not create a /home partition. Let each distro have its own /home. However, do create a partition to store your data, and mount it inside your /home/[insert your username] directory. That way you can access all your files from all your distros, but the software user data won’t be mixed.

• @Macaroni9538@lemmy.mlOP
        link
        fedilink
        110 months ago

Ahh brilliant! so create ONE storage partition and just mount that one partition in each distro’s home directory?

• Lvxferre
          link
          fedilink
          410 months ago

Yup. Check the diagram that I posted as a reply to another comment. It’s a clean way and it allows you to access your files from all your distros.

At least in theory you could even use a /home partition if you really, really wanted, but then you’d need to make sure that your username is different for each distro. It’s more work than it’s worth, and muscle memory will make you to try to log into one system with the username of another system.