A short but cogent analysis of the unexpectedly not-terrible SCOTUS emerging at the tail end of this term. Josh Marshall is a smart observer of government, and he makes an interesting argument that I think has some real value.

• @infinitevalence
    link
    English
    edit-2
    1 year ago

It would be nice if this was true but I dont see any actual evidence that they are rebuking or censuring the Justices who have been taking bribes gifts.

The worst thing that these conservative Justices dont understand is that the concept of Judicial Review is not codified in the constitution. Congress can at any time revoke that power without any feedback from the Court. If they continue to get caught in corruption, and continue to knock down popular policy it will eventually backfire, and could end up with the Court loosing much of its assumed power.

Frankly all of their choices and actions scream internal coup of the American political system. I honestly believe they expect to turn us into authoritarian executive branch (Unitary executive theory).

They are throwing a hail marry in the last quarter of the game. If they can reverse all the democratic and liberal decisions and restore white men to a position of sole ownership of power and then vest that in the executive branch, then they can rig the system so only “Republicans” can win and run things.

Why else would they risk backlash unless they really think they can “win.” Additionally I wonder if they are convinced that even if they dont win, it will cause a civil war where they can violently take control.

Roberts might care, and he might have some power, but its clear the extremists are driving the conversation and he cant hold them back.

• Flaky_Fish69
      link
      fedilink
      English
      11 year ago

Not to mention the affirmative action in colleges today came back- apparently it’s unconstitutional to promote diversity…