• Carighan Maconar
    link
    fedilink
    4110 months ago

Also, they don’t allow wearing headphones and it’s awfully quite sometimes and I have ADHD and have to fill that noise by talking.

This is the far far bigger WTF-moment for me. No headphones? In an open office?!

• @FredericChopin_@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      1810 months ago

Yeah it’s awful. There are only 6 of us as it’s a small company, and I get that it’s easy to just shout someone’s name, but man we have stupid teams they could nudge us on.

One day most were on holiday or sick and it was just me and this dude that never speaks, like we could all be talking away and be never joins in and if you talk to him you’re getting one word back. That day with no headphones was so so long.

• @idiomaddict@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        1210 months ago

Oh god, I feel bad for that guy. Like, also the rest of you, but a chatty six person office that bans headphones if you don’t like smalltalk? Torture.

• @Viking_Hippie@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          910 months ago

As someone who has ADHD AND is an introvert with social anxiety, that office is my idea of hell! Definitely wouldn’t last a month, maybe not even a week.

• @FredericChopin_@feddit.uk
            link
            fedilink
            English
            610 months ago

Im also an introvert but I worked in retail for a long time and I managed to fake benign an extrovert. Now I don’t know what I am.

If I’m around people I know I’m quite outgoing, else I don’t like people and want to be alone. Plus I get drained the more I converse with people.

• @Viking_Hippie@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              410 months ago

Sounds like you’re like me then: a personable introvert.

I’m good at faking being a social butterfly when I have to as well and generally treat people kindly and considerately but yeah, it really IS draining to deal with people for long periods of time and I tend to avoid it when I can do so without stepping on anyone’s toes…

• @TheActualDevil@sffa.community
                link
                fedilink
                310 months ago

See, that’s the main thing that differentiates introverts. A lot of introverts trend to being quiet and unsocial, but it’s because they’ve learned that it’s exhausting. Then there’s the lot of us who, for whatever reason, have been forced to push through and do it anyway.

Being social is a skill you have to develop, and since we’ve had to put in more work, we can be pretty good at it. When I’m in a social situation I can turn it on. My defense mechanism when I’m feeling uncomfortable is to shut my brain off and let that social muscle memory take over and I become super charming. Or I have to take over a meeting because I’m the only one who actually understands the topic and can communicate it. I can do it, and I’m good at it. But as soon as it’s over I can feel my brain deflate. Sometimes it uses all my spoons and I know immediately that I’m not going to get anything else done the rest of the day because an early surprise meeting showed up on my calendar.

• Fushuan [he/him]
          link
          fedilink
          English
          410 months ago

I’m that guy. The phone next to me is ringing SUPER LOUD nonstop, ear hurting loud. Sometimes he has two phones and while talking they call him again. There’s people on the front talking about work, but talking. People at the back talking too. People come to talk to coworkers next to me… It’s hell, I’m lucky my sector doesn’t have work shortage so I’m just going to leave.

Now, they told me that I can use headphones when I said I’m leaving, but… yeah no, this kind of things have to be though beforehand, not given as the carrot so I don’t leave. Think about accomodating workers, not appeasing them when they complain ffs.

• @med@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          210 months ago

Same situation for me - only my desk mate plays accuradio over speakers like we’re in a fucking gym. I can barely keep focused on anything