I got my ADD diagnosis today (no “h” as I don’t meet the criteria for hyperactivity). It felt validating to hear a doctor say what I’ve felt for a while now.

• @lazyguruOPMA
    link
    edit-2
    10 months ago

ADD is not a medically valid term anymore

Hmm, I’ve heard/read that in ADHD forums also, but this doctor used the phrase “ADD, not ADHD because you don’t meet the criteria for hyperactivity”. Perhaps they said it that way because of my age (assuming I would understand ADD vs ADHD because there was previously a distinction). I can ask for clarification at my next visit.

I like what you are saying on the Executive Function Disorder. I know that when I used to hear “ADHD”, I used to picture a kid I knew back in high school that would literally bounce off walls when he was off his meds. That is definitely not me. I do struggle with impulsivity a little though and I would argue I have an “attention deficit” problem as I can be staring a person in their eyes as they talk yet not hear a word they are saying as my mind is somewhere else entirely. I can also struggle with paying attention in meetings as I just want to get back to some other task I was working on (no matter how important I believe the meeting to be).

• Transient Punk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      310 months ago

Eh, Doctors are humans, and humans are lazy and resistant to change. ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

• @lazyguruOPMA
        link
        210 months ago

And here I am from the generation of “resistance is futile” 😜