A lot of you are new to Lemmy and the fediverse. You might have some questions about it, about me, or about discuss.online and it’s sister site utter.online.

Ask me anything. I’ll be watching this thread all day today: June 30th, 2023.

• @dosnelson
    link
    English
    21 year ago

How do you plan to interact with moderators, short term and ideal? Short term is obviously how you’re planning to do this immediately with a shoestring budget. Long term would be if this turned into a platform that made some amount of money and allowed part-time employment. When thinking about plan to interact: do you intend to allow moderators to stay on if they are distasteful/rude, but still legal/not outright breaking rules?

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
      link
      English
      21 year ago

Short-term, I’m building relationships, tools, and respect. I have a few moderators today with mixed experience. I’m hoping to learn how best to work with them. I have no idea if this will make any money. I’m paying out of pocket for it now.

Regarding the long term: If it does grow, I’m not 100% sure I’d want moderation to be an FTE’s responsibility. The community creates the content and should own some responsibility to keep it within the rules. However, I would love to compensate Moderators for their time and investment. Of course, different regions have different laws. There may be the need for full-time people to help ensure we’re not liable.

I’m doing this for fun and because I believe the internet belongs to the people. I’m not trying to be Reddit, Microsoft, Facebook, etc. I’m more in the mindset of WordPress.

I’m still trying to figure out how to build this network, attract new traffic, and build all the tools. I hope that donations help cover the hard costs for now. Then later, my time is compensated for along with all the others that contributed.

I hope this answers your questions.