Hi all, thank you for the community and hope you are all doing well.

I feel like the vegan presence on lemmy is quite small compared to what it was on the other site and I’m curious how we can build our community here.

I’ve been vegan for over 7 years and am generally a lurker on sites like this but think that due to all the climate awareness I would rather be the single person “enlightening” others to a different worldview than someone solely upvoting others who have the wherewithal to post and put their voice out there.

Maybe this isn’t necessarily the vibe people like but awareness is everything. What do you think?

• @Haggunenons@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Roger Payne introduced much of the world to humpback whale songs and as a result much whale population decline began to reverse. He predicted that this would happen if people could just see that they communicate with each other. This reversal happened despite us being unable to even begin to understand what they were saying to each other.

With this recent explosion of AI technology, leaps and bounds are being made to actually begin to decode the communications of some other animals. This new emerging field is being called Digital Bioacoustics. For instance, a study has just recently come out that elephants call each other by names. I think there is a decent chance that this deeper understanding of animal communication may possibly lead to a paradigm shift in how humans see the other living creatures that we share the planet with, in the very least, I can hope so!