i cannot possibly express how much of a gigantic pain in the ass this is; it’s making more more slovenly than i want to be because it’s such an inconvenience to throw stuff away.

like should i buy a hand truck? that wouldn’t help for garbage bags

• @FluffyPotato@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    310 months ago

It doesn’t matter if you buy or rent. At least here you always have an apartment union that all residents are a part of, it’s required. Like if you want a water filter installed to the general water intake or want a bike rack in front of the building you ask the union and they bring it up during a meeting so if the budget allows for it they’ll put it on a vote. Like how else would you get like a bike rack or a garden for your building?

• @mark3748@geddit.social
      link
      fedilink
      1210 months ago

Like how else would you get like a bike rack or a garden for your building?

You ask the owner, and then accept it will never happen.

• @FluffyPotato@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        210 months ago

Wow, that’s wild to me. Though why not just organize anyways? Like if everyone living in a building got together and for example collectively decided to set up a garbage collection area and everyone who lives there pays like a pittance to rent a punch of garbage cans. Having an organizational like that would be pretty useful even if it has no legal authority it can still do things.

• @poppy@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          210 months ago

Because then if the landlord/management company didn’t like it they would refuse to renew your lease and then you’re out of home. It’s rare for tenants to have much of any rights in the US.

• @FluffyPotato@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            110 months ago

If a whole building worth of people got organised there’s not much the owner can do, even cops are gonna have trouble evicting a whole building worth of people and I doubt it would come to that over some trash pickup issues.

• @poppy@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              210 months ago

Sorry, but absolutely the owners and cops could do as they wish. Would it come to it about trash issues? Probably not, if it was being managed correctly. But say you have some random store bought trash cans closer to the buildings. Now who takes those full cans to the dumpsters? It’s not going to stay managed well. Landlords can evict people very easily for not abiding by terms, which can be pretty lengthy. And people aren’t going to risk their home just to stick it to a landlord. They’re just going to drag their trash out to the dumpster. I really envy you and your country which seems to have a much better way of handling things, but the entire rental industry of the US is built around getting the most money while providing the least necessary for the people.

• @FluffyPotato@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                110 months ago

Yea, but they way to fix your situation is to organize. Like start small with just your apartment building and work up from there, with enough people nothing is impossible. If you wait for someone else to fix it then nothing will change.

• @FelipeFelop
      link
      410 months ago

I think they are in the US. It operates without the sort of protections that most of the world has.

• phillaholic
      link
      fedilink
      310 months ago

There is no such standard or organization in the US for people who rent. People are free to form their own groups, but they would hold no legal power.