cross-posted from: https://lemmy.world/post/3320637

YouTube and Reddit are sued for allegedly enabling the racist mass shooting in Buffalo that left 10 dead::The complementary lawsuits claim that the massacre in 2022 was made possible by tech giants, a local gun shop, and the gunman’s parents.

• @LillyPip@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    210 months ago

No u.

Here, I’ll give you a head start:

University of Maryland Department of Criminology and Criminal Justice

our analysis shows that right-wing actors are significantly more violent than left-wing actors
    the probability of a violent act of extremism in the United States being committed by a left-wing extremist was found to be 0.33, 0.61 by a right-wing extremist, and 0.62 by an Islamist extremist.

You’ll notice that’s double the incidents from the right vs the left.

Military Times, which no one could reasonably claim has any liberal bias

But terrorism carried out by right-wing actors eclipsed that of leftist movements in the 1990s … Now, government agencies and scholars across the political spectrum agree that far-right movements have caused most of the political violence in the U.S. over the past few years – and present the most dangerous threat today.

West Point Combating Terrorism Center – and again, West Point can hardly be called liberal

Accelerationist ideology, conspiracy theories, disinformation, and far-right extremist narratives have played a key role in the prioritization of critical infrastructure as a target for the violent far-right. The intersections of these ideologies and narratives have led to complex attacks on power grids and the targeting of telecommunications systems by far-right extremists. The increased focus and attacks on critical infrastructure by far-right extremists has the potential to wreak extensive, multifaceted societal disruption and damage, impacting communications, the economy, mobility, and basic human necessities.

Can you provide legitimate, unbiased sources for your claims? Because all the data says you’re being lied to.

• @LazyM11@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      110 months ago

I live in LA def ain’t conservatives out here shooting it up. I can just go see if in real life stay to your online life

• @LillyPip@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Mhm. Your anecdotal ‘feels’ outweigh actual data, sounds about right(wing).

How about you at least try to back up what you say with anything at all beyond ‘I believe it’s true’? Because nobody outside your bubble is going to take that seriously.

I’m from a city roughly the size and makeup of LA, so you can keep your ‘online life’ comment to yourself.

e-side note: real people are behind these usernames, you know. Not NPCs or drones, but actual people with lives sharing similarities to your own in varying degrees. People aren’t black and white caricatures, and treating them as though they’re hypothetical characters in fake worlds further detaches you from them and can lead to a distorted worldview.

It’s important keep remembering that, because bad actors have been working hard to take advantage of the tendency we all have towards this.