A lot of you are new to Lemmy and the fediverse. You might have some questions about it, about me, or about discuss.online and it’s sister site utter.online.

Ask me anything. I’ll be watching this thread all day today: June 30th, 2023.

• @kenvald
    link
    English
    11 year ago

I’ve been trying a lot of things to try to get traffic here.

Would you mind sharing some of the things you have tried? Since there now are a couple of settled “main” instances it seems real hard to grow organically as a smaller instance. Is there something we can do to help other than word of mouth or donate?

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
      link
      English
      21 year ago

That’s all you can do. Sites rank higher when the users engage. So most of what I’ve been doing is attempting to attract people to create accounts on this instance while also trying to get them to engage. Engagement is only Posts and Comments.

Things I’ve tried are:

• Engaging in the Lemmy community
      • Engaging on Mastodon, Reddit, & Lemmy, in general, to let people know I exist
      • Trying to accommodate Moderators so that people want to build their communities here
      • I tried to get listed by the WAN show with a merch message… they didn’t show it.
      • I tried a Google Ads spot but it didn’t do well. I had over 20k views but only 8 clicks. I’m redoing the ad. It’s awaiting approval.

The best thing people can do is create communities and engage in them. Engagement is key. You get ranked by active users over the past 6 months. I have 259 users on this instance. ~140 are spam bots I banned. Of the remaining, only 46 have counted towards the engagement score.