• @Decompose@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    -310 months ago

It starts with a basic idea like all people should have access to food, clean drinking water, shelter, healthcare, and a basic minimum quality of life. For most people, access to these things are currently granted by working and earning a wage.

No one is entitled to anything. You’re confusing what “would be great” with what reality is.

Again, no matter how much automation there is, you can always build your own thing. You don’t need a job under anyone. You can go start on your own, fail 100 times, and succeed at time 101. I’ve seen tons of people do that, including millionaires.

So while I do not feel entitled to what they produce, finding land and starting a farm would not secure those basic necessities of life and the opportunities to do so decrease daily.

What you call “basic necessities” aren’t really basic. You want to enjoy modern civilization without contributing to it. Find a way to be part of it, or go back to farming and no one will have beef with you. Your health care today is better than the richest elite 100 years ago. Never forget that, and never forget you’re not entitled to any of it.

In short, a person earns less while prices of goods continue to rise. The quality of life of the vast majority of the populace is continually going down.

Because you keep voting for governments that keeps increasing government spending and printing money. You refuse personal responsibility and you think the government should solve all your problems. You can’t have it both ways. Either solve your problems by yourself to have a deflationary economy with less government spending, or make the government spend more and enjoy more inflation. It’s simple math.

All these are problems you’re creating. You’re still free to leave to another country to farm your own land.

• No one is entitled to anything. You’re confusing what “would be great” with what reality is.

They’re entitled if we say they are, just like all the other rights. It would be great, I agree. So let’s work on that.

link
        fedilink
        010 months ago

How? By coercing them to give up their success? Hell no. I’m not gonna be part of this! If someone gives up something voluntarily, that’s cool. Otherwise I’m against it.

link
            fedilink
            -210 months ago

No, you should stop telling people what to do just because you’re not even trying. You’re free to be the failure you always wanted to be, but you’re also free to do the same and build your own empire with hard work.

• @pomodoro_longbreak@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              edit-2
              10 months ago

You’re way off. I already got mine, thanks to my own hard work and the support of friends, family, and the free gifts of civilisation in which we all partake.

I don’t deny that I got help to get where I am, and that’s it’s only right that I pay back into the system that has helped me prosper. It would be criminal not to pay back what I can easily afford. It should be criminal IMO.

Ps if you’re seriously interested in continuing this convo in good faith I am too. I promise I’ll be less chirpy and more open minded.